Updated: Feb 18
Yield: 4 servings
1 spaghetti squash
1lb lean Italian sausage
1 small onion, diced
1 small lemon
1 tbsp butter
1 bag (10oz) spinach
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Optional: parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Make small incisions with a knife across the spaghetti squash along its length and microwave for 2 minutes. Carefully remove and slice the squash in half along incisions previously made. Scoop out all of the seeds.
2. Coat each half with olive oil and top a dash of salt and pepper. Place each half face down on a cookie sheet and roast for ~40 minutes. Each half should be slightly browned/golden when finished and very soft. Let sit to cool.
3. Brown Italian sausage in a pan with diced onion. When sausage is completely browned, add lemon juice, butter, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together.
4. Take a fork and shred the spaghetti squash, set skins aside. Add shredded squash to the pan along with the bag of spinach. Allow the spinach to wilt and gently mix everything together to warm through.
5. Scoop the mixture back into the squash skins. Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and parsley as desired. Put back in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Take out and immediately serve!
Nutrition Facts per serving: 282 calories, 17g protein, 7g carb, 14g fat, 4g saturated fat, 463mg sodium, and 2g fiber